[DeTomaso] How bad are electrical splices?

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 07:01:19 EST 2014

Hi all

I'm changing my MSD 6AL to see if my engine problems are ignition related.
While doing this, I have an idea that will make my life easier both now and
later, but I don't want to create new problems for myself.

Some of the connections are deep in the engine bay, or have to pass through
the firewall (my box is located behind the passenger seat). The easiest
would be to cut the wires in the passenger compartment and install some
plugs, such as those shown in this photo. This would be easiest now, as well
as if I were to ever have a failure on a roadtrip. Changing the MSD box
could be as easy as unplugging the existing connections and plugging the new
ones. 5 minutes and I'd be back underway.

Is there any good reason NOT to do this? It seems kind of kludgy and
introduces one new splice in each wire, but it would make life easier.
thanks!