[DeTomaso] Hydraulic Throw-out Bearing

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Mon Nov 3 03:10:26 EST 2014

I've had one made by Tilton (unknown p/n) in our Pantera for nearly 18 years. It was not a bolt in so it took some work to adapt from dirt- track racing. Tilton made three versions over the years- the 1st two had engineering problems but #3 has been trouble free. It worked so well for me, I made two extras for friends who also have had no problems. A big advantage is the complete lack of friction in the clutch system- you can actually feel the stock over-center device under the dash working! A big DIS-advantage is, if anything goes wrong, the ZF must come out to fix it. They are also expensive at $300 or so but are rebuildable either at home or by returning them to Tilton.

Setup is critical- the quad-ring seal only works for linear movement. If heat or set-up misadjustment expands things such that the annular piston bottoms, the piston will begin spinning with the clutch and that will fail the seal in less than 50 miles. My Tilton requires a custom made 6061 ZF nose piece.

D Quella used to sell his own adaption of a different unit but I think he stopped selling them due to people NOT setting them up correctly per his instructions, causing warranty troubles due to bottoming the piston and failing the seal.

   Does anyone have any experience with a hydraulic throw-out bearing for
   the ZF? Any recommendations on a unit that works well with the ZF? I
   was looking at a Tilton 6000 series unit but I am not sure if it will
   work easily with the ZF?

   Thanks, Scott