[DeTomaso] Hydraulic Throw-out Bearing

David Nunn dnunn at telus.net
Mon Nov 3 15:37:02 EST 2014

Scott,

There's nothing inherently unreliable about a hydraulic t/o bearing. They
are used widely in OEM applications. I have a friend whose Ford pick-up has
one!

The problems people had with them stemmed from incorrect installation and
set-up. Specifically, as Jack wrote, over-extending the piston is what
causes the seals to fail.

Dennis Quella still sells the McLeod unit but he supplies a clutch pedal
stop to prevent the piston over-extension problem.  He also supplies very
comprehensive installation and set-up instructions.

Dave