[DeTomaso] cheap adapters for coolant size hoses (Tefba)

jderyke at aol.com jderyke at aol.com
Sat Mar 15 17:02:15 EDT 2014

Thanks for the mention. I found those fittings, used for sweat-soldering big copper pipes, decades ago at a hardware store. I've been using them on my Fluidyne radiator and in the hose going from the surge tank back to the long stainless steel water return pipe. This hose makes a sharpish bend near the crankshaft pulley and the copper fitting takes the stress off the hose.

Sweat-solder fittings are sized by OD while radiator hoses are sized by ID so likely there will be no exact fits, but as mentioned, a minute's immersion in hot water softens the hose enough to allow it to be forced onto the copper fittings or the stainless pipes. Neither the Gates hoses, copper fittings nor the stainless pipes show any signs of corrosion after 20 years of use.

Note also that replacing the early stock two-sized hose that makes a convoluted bend around the gearshift rod, with the Ford L update steel piece is also a really good idea. Vibration & shift motion have worn thru these pre-L rubber hoses & they're hard to find. Also part of vendor supplied stainless kits- J DeRyke