[DeTomaso] Tefba Coolant Filter

Stephen Nelson steve at snclocks.com
Wed Mar 12 12:01:24 EDT 2014

Reminds me of some start up filters we had on big compressors in a refinery
I worked at in Capetown.  They were meant to be in place when first starting
up - to catch hard hats, pipe wrenches and the like.  1/4 inch mesh.  But,
of course, the operators were loath to remove them once on line - because
they were sure the filters would protect the compressors.  Forward 10 years
and I, a bright young engineer, am assigned to figure out a way to keep the
Prussian blue (Ferric ferrocyanide) from precipitating on the filters and
shutting down the unit.  In fact there was talk of putting on a parallel set
of start up filters (no longer called start up filters - now just filters)
so one set could be taken off line while the others were cleaned.  We are
talking 12 inch pipes here.

So, got with the manufacturer.  They suggested that unless we were concerned
about hard hats, pipe wrenches and the like, we needed to remove them, per
their original instructions.

If one is worried about trash in their cooling system, put in a pair of
filters.  And then, perhaps 2 days later, after a couple of good romps, take
them out.  Or, if one is concerned about corrosion focus on why one is
concerned about corrosion.  But filters in a closed, clean system?  Go
figure.

Such is my advice on a gloriously sunny morning in the PNW.

Stephen Nelson