[DeTomaso] NPC - listmanager update

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Wed Jun 18 23:58:37 EDT 2014

All,
To truly understand how badly this entire DMARC "thing" at AOL, Yahoo
and other big email providers has affected mailing lists like this, you
need to read and understand this article:

http://wiki.list.org/plugins/viewsource/viewpagesrc.action?pageId=17891477

In a nutshell:
- To make this mailing list work so those other email providers won't
delete or quarantine Mailman message, the developers had to break some
pretty fundamental email "rules."
- The typical workaround is to either munge the reply header, which also
changes the reply-to header and why you see the funky "from" in the body
of the email.  This is the current setting we are using.
- The other workaround is to wrap the entire original email in another
email.  This apparently caused many of you problems with Outlook or cell
phone email packages.  I use Thunderbird and had no problems but that
doesn't mean I force all of you to Thunderbird.  This setting has been
turned back off in favor of the "munge" setting.
- The other two options either BOUNCE or DISCARD the messages from those
identified email providers; not something friendly to those members.  We
don't intend to do this as it creates "punishment" for using AOL or
Yahoo or.... <insert other email provider using DMARC>.  I don't see it
our business to tell someone they have to change email providers just to
use this list; and beside that fact, how do you know you can find one
that doesn't use DMARC?  We won't even try these two settings.

You can also see the developers are in a bit of a pickle trying to
figure out new ways to make this work "better," and are having a hard
time doing so.

I wouldn't expect any other fixes anytime soon.  The configuration as it
is set now, is probably the "best" it will be for some time.

In -other- news related to the POCA server:

The old server used a photo gallery called Gallery2 which was in many
ways compatible with the Content Management System being used at the
time (Joomla! 2).  The new POCA system is now running Joomla! 3. It
turns out (after spending a bunch of time researching it) Gallery2 as
well as Gallery3 are -not- compatible with Joomla! 3.  Because of that,
we are unable to migrate the old Gallery2 information to the new Joomla!
3 install.  That's one of the reasons we are using a Joomla! friendly
gallery; JoomGallery.  Unfortunately there are no migration scripts that
I've found to move old Gallery2 data into JoomGallery.

For those who's eyes have glossed over, this means we can't restore your
photos.

Now, a smart guy who knows databases and can dedicate several hours to
understanding the old Gallery2 database and the new JoomGallery database
might be able to figure out how to migrate the old DB data to the new DB
which would restore the photos.  But that "smart guy" isn't -me-.  The
best I can do is research work others may have already done in this
regard, but there's no promises there is anything easy or if I can even
do it.

So the photo gallery is what it is for now.

Asa  Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
& Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA