[DeTomaso] Fun Rally Chronicles, Day 10

Christopher Kimball chrisvkimball at msn.com
Mon Jun 2 02:45:41 EDT 2014

Day 10, June 1st:  Storm clouds on the horizon

Today, all the Fun Rally
participants were planning on leaving for home.
Unfortunately, the City of San Diego had other plans.  Have you ever heard the song “Hotel
California?”  The basic premise is the
Hotel California is similar to a Roach Motel, in that guests check in, but can
never check out.

Thanks to the “Rock and
Roll” marathon (jogging and pushing wheelchairs; not music), the main route out
of town was closed.  This meant a number
of us were somewhat bewildered as to what to do.  I was especially concerned because I was
supposed to meet Don Byars at his shop so he could try and stop my car from
making odd, steering-related noises.

I talked with President
Buckman in the parking garage, and I have to say, he is more reliable than
GPS.  He told me exactly how I could get
to Don’s shop while bypassing the closed roads.
I wrote down his directions and followed them, ignoring the commands
from my GPS which were decidedly different from what John recommended.  John’s directions won that contest!

Two hours after leaving the
hotel I arrived at Don’s shop.  I was immediately
impressed to see the quality of the cars there (all Panteras except for one
Mustang), in various states of restoration.
In fact, while I was there an additional Pantera arrived on a flatbed—another
Fun Rally participant needing help with his car—a transmission problem, I
believe.  Speaking of transmission
problems; remember the storm clouds to which I alluded?  I’ll get to that a bit later.

I took a number of pictures
of Don’s projects.  They are, in a word,
amazing.  The level of workmanship is
unexcelled; the cars were so clean I felt I could eat off of them.  You can see examples of this in the first
couple of pictures.  This is the
underside of a beautiful blue Pantera.
Every part is pristine.  Note the
advanced CV joints used instead of the stock U-joints.  Top-side, the car is just as impressive, if
not more so.  When I see an engine bay
that nice it makes me embarrassed to have my car within 10 miles of it.

But wait, there’s more!

On another rack was a
customized, orange beast.  The motor is a
completely polished BOSS 429.  You have
to go to my Facebook page to look at the pictures of this car (I don’t know how
you do that, but if you email cbrady at moneyconcepts.com
she can make it work).  The motor is
going to put out over a thousand horsepower, which I suppose, as Rolls-Royce
used to say, is “adequate.”

There was also a mustang
Don is completing which is equally as impressive as the other cars.

Going from the sublime to
the ridiculous, let me tell you about my car…
Actually, I shouldn't be so hard on Pandora.  After all, I drive her a lot and haven’t
spent quite as much money as some do to get their cars looking so great.  Sitting next to what was in Don’s shop,
though, the car that wins trophies at local car shows looks pretty ordinary.

Don took a look at Pandora’s
steering rack and determined it was in need of some grease.  In fact, it was so greaseless there was
absolutely no sign of John Travolta or Olivia Newton John.

He also made an adjustment
to free up an arm that was too tight (can you tell how much of a mechanic I am
by my lame descriptions of what occurred?)
You can see Don in the picture plying his trade as he grabs various
steering parts and wiggles them (remember how valuable it is to wiggle things
when effecting car repairs).  The shot of
my front disc is primarily for comparison purposes—comparing what my car looks
like to the other ones in his shop.  The
next picture shows the rack disconnected prior to being greased and
re-booted.  I rebooted my computer once.

Since he was already doing
work on the steering, he also replaced the steering-rack boots.  It may be that there was once grease in the
boots that were already there, but that original grease leaked out once the
boots sprung leaks.  If you've ever had
leaky boots, you know what a problem that can be.

Don also had the insight to
check a few other things, too, while he was there.  This included inspecting the bolts that
attach the U-joints to the rear wheels.
He spotted some rust around the nuts, which was a red flag.  Now, I know you’re all waiting to see if I’ll
take the bait and make some silly comment about how sometimes old guys need to
be sure they don’t have rust around…ha!
You thought I was going to stoop that low, didn't you.  No way!

You can see Don in one of
the pictures, tightening the bolts.  I
think this is a good thing to do if one wants to avoid having U-joints fall
off.  I was certainly glad he noticed and
fixed the problem.

I also mentioned to Don how
I repaired my cruise-control sensor with the spring from a ball-point pen.  I can’t be certain, but I think he was really
impressed.  He immediately set to work
lathing from a single piece of steel rod the exact part I needed.  We took out my Rube Goldberg fix and
installed the piece he made.  My cruise
control works great, and thanks to his precision, will probably continue to do
so for a long time.

All-in-all, Don spent three
hours of his time working on my car—during one of the only days off he’s had in
about six weeks.  I guess that means it wasn't a day off.

A big thanks to Don for all
his help; I truly appreciate it.

I filled the tank, drank a bottle
of chocolate milk, and hit the road.

The traffic was heavy, and
there was a lot of stop-and-go traffic.  This
kind of repeated gear-shifting is very hard on a clutch (note:  that last sentence was more foreshadowing).  The weather became oppressively hot as well;
I think my A/C may have a leak, because even though the little squirrels were
spinning that little squirrel-cage fan as fast as their little squirrel-legs
could muster, the car still felt hot inside.

When I got to the hotel in
Santa Barbara, I decided before checking in I’d make another political statement
and go to Chick Filet for dinner.  I
forgot that the owners of Chick Filet make their own statement by closing on
Sundays.  D’oh!

I’d have to settle for
Denny’s.

That was OK, though, since
Denny’s is currently offering this special; two chicken wraps with chips for
$4.00.  Better yet, Denny’s makes pretty
good milkshakes.  I started off with a chocolate
milkshake as a kind of appetizer.  I then
enjoyed the wraps, and polished off the meal with a caramel/apple crunch with
vanilla ice cream, and a slice of cheesecake with strawberry topping.  After only having eaten a bowl of Frosted
Mini Wheats (with a little extra sugar, of course), and a chocolate milk all
day, the big Denny’s meal hit the spot.

I was feeling pretty good
until I got back in the car and started to drive to the hotel.  As I pushed in the clutch, I heard a sound
one doesn't like to hear when pushing in clutches; a kind of grinding.  The sound was audible only when the clutch
pedal was partially depressed.  When fully
depressed, or when released, there were no weird sounds at all.

>From a psychological perspective,
it’s interesting to note how the cars we love can so directly affect us in a
kind of empathetic symbiosis.  This
example is a case in point:  Right now,
when the clutch gets depressed, I get depressed.  I must be especially
empathetic, however, because in this case, the clutch only has to be partially
depressed to make me fully depressed…

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times; POCA is a great resource for Pantera owners.  Once settled in my hotel room, I sent out an
email describing my clutch plight.
Almost immediately I received several helpful replies.  I’m not sure if I’ll be able to stop at a
fellow-Pantera-owner’s house for a diagnosis (maybe he or she will look at my
car, too), or if I’ll be able to stop at a repair shop someone on the forum recommends.  Perhaps I’ll just do what Asa Jay suggested; re-route
the rest of my trip to a straight shot down I-5 and try to get it done in a
couple of days.

I’ll call AAA tomorrow and see
if they can change my hotel reservations to match a more direct route home.  If you don’t receive another one of these
journal updates by 11:30 PM tomorrow, it means either I’m too busy to write
because I’m at someone’s house trying to fix the clutch problem, or I’m sitting
on the side of a road somewhere, out of cell-signal range.