[DeTomaso] strange clutch noise question

Will Kooiman will.kooiman at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 23:32:59 EDT 2014

I did 200 miles with no clutch, and a battery that was too weak to start
the car.

It was in college, and I _really_ wanted to drive my 68 Mustang to campus
- which was 200 miles away.  The clutch linkage fell apart 5 miles from
home.  It isn¹t that hard to shift without a clutch, especially with a
fantastic transmission like the Ford Toploader.  The only hard part was a
red light (right turn).  Normally I would have killed the engine, but I
didn¹t think the battery would start the car.  I pulled to the side
(gravel), hit the brakes, and gave it enough gas to slowly spin the tires.
 Then I got a green light, and kept going.  Redneck.

When I got to campus, I popped the hood and noticed the clutch linkage
sitting on the header.  A pin had come out.  I extracted a pin from the
seats, put the linkage back together, and went ³cruising".  That was my
Macgyver moment.

What we did when we were young and stupid.