[DeTomaso] Cleveland HP limits

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 14 23:26:54 EDT 2014

What is your intended use of the engine and the HP? How often will it see peak HP/Revs or is it mostly for bench racing? How much do you want to be fettling with it to keep it on song?

I have heard that 550HP is a good reliable number to get an engine that has some degree of drivability, reliability and longevity.  Dan Jones is able to spec motors that reliably provide that sort fo HP.

Before you spend any money on a build take the block and get the cylinder wall thickness sonic checked. Just because it's a stock block doesn't guarantee it is free of core shift. Better still if you are spending $$ on all those other parts why not buy an aftermarket iron block of the likes that MME or Tod Buttermore are casting, then you can increase the HP number somewhat and for sure be the fastest guy on the bench.

Julian