[DeTomaso] NPC - Senior Moment

Tom Shinrock tmshinro at aol.com
Fri Jul 11 11:55:49 EDT 2014

Here's another problem I've created for myself.

We had a storm go through last week that generated straight line winds of 80 mph for 20 minutes straight.  It was like a small tornado.  Many, many trees were damaged or uprooted.   I lost half of a 30 foot maple tree and a couple branches on another tree which was small potatoes compared the damage that other homes suffered in the neighborhood.

It wasn't to the next day when I was digging around the garage to get what I needed to cut the damaged trees that I discovered that the piece of drywall that covered up the attic access hole in my ceiling was apparently dislodged by the high wind coming through the attic vent that it fell through the hole and landed on the windshield of my Porsche 944 Turbo and smashed it up real good.

I was real lucky that it didn't bend any metal or scratch any paint.  I have zero deductible replacement glass on my collector car insurance so I will get a new window with no out of pocket expense.  I'll give another plug for the AIG collector car insurance offered through Barrett Jackson as they reacted immediately to my claim and put me in touch with a local auto glass company to install the new windshield.

So here's my problem... The glass company preferred that I drive the car to their location instead of doing it at my house.  I haven't driven the 944 all year, so I charged the battery to make sure it would start.  I drove the car to the glass place this morning and noticed at the traffic light a couple of blocks from the place that smoke/steam was coming from under the hood.   The temp gauge was normal so I drove to their parking lot and lifted up the hood.  I found that I failed to replace the plastic battery cover lid that I had taken off while charging the battery.  I put the lid on top of the motor in plain sight to remind me to replace it when I took off the battery charger.  I apparently fell down on edge between the shock tower and engine so I didn't notice it and I forgot all about it.  The smoke was the plastic lid melting on the headers.

So, doesn't anybody have any great ideas to remove melted plastic from my headers?  There is a large area coated with black plastic.

Tom
5186