[DeTomaso] Hall Ultra Wheels

Dave dave at damardirect.com
Sat Feb 8 17:15:09 EST 2014

I agree with Mike. I can tell you first hand, it is not a pleasant thing to hear "ting- a- ling- a- ling, as the hardware thrashes around the inner fender  as 9 of the little nuts and bolts break off of the rear wheel on at a time. I was traveling about 70-75 mph, I remember looking over at my wife and saying "did you hear that"? Not knowing what it was, I immediately got off of the highway. About 3 blocks later a couple more broke & it sounded like a bomb exploded. I was traveling about 25-30 mph & I think I stopped the car in 15 ft. I don't recall the name of my Hall wheels, picture of front & rear wheel below.

I was very lucky to get off of the highway. The tire stayed intact, no fender or damage to the ZF case. I was truly very lucky. I found 3 of the 4 inner rims were severely cracked; a couple had zig zag cracks 6-8 inches long.  I knew what I was looking at.  For years I visually inspected wheels for cracks after cars qualified at Indy. Mike Drew convinced me to trash the wheels. I took them to a scrap metal dealer & got $50. Important thing was they would never go on the pavement again.
IndyDave