[DeTomaso] Hall Ultra Wheels

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Feb 7 22:11:53 EST 2014

In a message dated 2/7/14 15 11 27, pcajthaml at gmail.com writes:

> I am seriously considering changing the gold to black. (you can see how
> it has faded in my wheel picture - the plastic center is much darker than
> the aluminum wheel).
>

>>>Frankly, I wouldn't expend a bit of effort on these wheels.   They are
already well past their sell-by date. :<(

Also note that they are made with a 15-inch wheel center mated to 17-inch
rims, which limits the size of the brakes you can fit under them, for no good
reason other than the fact that Hall had piles of 15-inch centers at his
disposal when he was making them....

While I view Jack's blanket admonition against all three-piece wheels as a
hysterical and unfounded overeaction, when speaking about Hall Ultra wheels
*specifically*, I think his advice is right on.   So many people have had
failures over the years--it's not a matter of if, but when.   Kinesis, Etoile
etc. wheels are much better built and don't seem to have these kinds of
problems, nor do factory three-piece wheels as used on Porsche, Lamborghini,
Ferrari etc. over the years.