[DeTomaso] Why Is My Battery Discharging?

SOBill at aol.com SOBill at aol.com
Sat Dec 13 19:24:08 EST 2014

Ed,

At http://www.panteraplace.com/Electrical/Power%20Distribution.pdf you
will find a diagram showing the electrical power distribution on the  Pantera.
This diagram is the Big Picture based on a stock Pantera electrical  system
and was made at the suggestion of and with the help of Lee Farrell.

How to find out why a battery is discharging?

Disconnect the negative battery cable. Now the battery can not be
discharging into any circuit in the car. Measure the battery voltage with a
multimeter which can read to at least 0.01 volts. Such meters are readily
available and are quite inexpensive. If your battery voltage is slowly  decreasing,
the battery is being discharged. What does "slowly deceasing"  mean? My
battery voltage did not vary by +/- 0.01 volts measured over 5 minutes.  If your
battery voltage is slowly decreasing when the battery is not connected  to
any load, you have a bad battery.

If the battery is good, why is it discharging?

Reconnect the negative battery cable to the battery. Measure the battery
voltage. If the battery voltage is decreasing, the battery is  discharging
thru a load in the car. Looking at the Power Distribution  Diagram. How can
the battery discharge? The battery could discharge thru the  Alternator, the
Ignition Switch, the Headlamp Switch, or Fuses 7,8, or 9. Since  the Headlamp
Switch is OFF, and the Ignition Switch is OFF, the battery could  only
discharge thru the Alternator or Fuses 7, 8, or 9. Since the fuses are
relatively easy to get too, pull Fuse 7, If the battery voltage continues to  drop,
replace Fuse 7 and pull Fuse 8. If the Battery voltage continues to drop,
replace Fuse 8 and pull Fuse 9. If the battery voltage continues to drop,
replace Fuse 9. Unless there is more than one problem, we have eliminated the
circuits associated with Fuses 7, 8, 9 as the source of the problem. On the
 assumption that we have a single circuit causing the problem, I recommend
pulling and replacing fuses one at a time. It is no fun to wind up with a
pile  of poorly marked fuses to sort out against a diagram. A more scientific
 approach, which accommodates multiple causes for the problem, is to pull a
fuse,  mark it as to location, and do not replace the fuse until we have
solved the problem. Do it which ever way makes the most sense to you.

The next item to test would be the Alternator, but, since fuses are easy
to access, pull fuses one at a time and recheck the battery voltage.  If you
pull a fuse and the battery voltage stops dropping, you have found  the
circuit that is draining the battery. If you have tested all the fuse  circuits
and the battery voltage is still dropping, the only component left is  the
alternator.

To this point, we have had life fairly easy and we should be done is less
than one hour. Life, unfortunately, is going to get a little less easy. We
must  get to the Alternator.

How to find out if the drain is in the Alternator?

Disconnect the negative battery cable from the battery. At the rear of the
Alternator remove the Big Black wire and be sure it does not touch the
chassis.  Reconnect the battery negative cable to the battery. If the battery
voltage continues to drop, the problem is not in the alternator. If the
battery voltage stops dropping, the diode pack in the alternator is the most
likely problem. Any auto electric shop can easily fix this problem.
Disconnect the negative battery cable. Reconnect the big black wire at the
alternator. Reconnect the battery negative cable to the battery.

If you have done all of these tests and the battery voltage still continues
 to drop, something quite strange is happening IF YOUR CAR IS STOCK. If
your is  not stock, disconnect whatever is not stock and see what happens.

This all sounds quite complicated, but it really is not. Look at the
diagram, think of what you eliminate when you pull a fuse. There is no magic: No
Fuse = No Drain. The problem can be found.  Let me know what you find in
any case.

SOBill

The main  thing is to keep the main thing the main thing.
Do the best you can with what  your have where you are.
Have fun today!
SOBill