[DeTomaso] New engine

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 8 22:31:11 EST 2014

I thought about NACA ducts and did a little reading.  They seem to be out of favor except for very special applications.  One article said they need to be at a bit of an angle to the air flow to work well, and on some applications they saw air flowing out instead of in.  The do make some sense under a car because a scoop probably won't survive too long.
I thought about shaping the bottom, but we would be trying to create higher pressure by slowing the air flow at the rear of the NACA duct, and that is the opposite of a ground effects car where the taper is wide to narrow to accelerate the air flow to create low pressure to hold the car down.
Maybe someone could collect all the data from things people have tried to at least have a starting point?  Both Jr Wilson and Goran have very shallow scoops on the car roof.  I assume they worked?  I read that the boundary layer grows thicker with surface length.  Since the roof is a lot shorter than the sides, maybe the boundary layer is thin there?  I suppose you could semi hide a roof scoop if it is buried in the roof vs extending from the roof?  I think I saw that on one very modified car at Byers shop 2 or 3 years ago?
Has anyone asked Tom Tjaarda if he has any air intake ideas that done spoil his beautiful design?
Ken