[DeTomaso] 351c Deck Height?

Corey Price coreyjprice at gmail.com
Fri Dec 5 14:34:25 EST 2014

Yes, the standard answer for centerline of crank mains to head surface is
9.206" for a 351 Cleveland.  What's funny is that my 30-yr-old "Ford
Performance" book states that the '71 Boss 351 block was between 9.201" and
9.211" and the rest of the 351 blocks are 9.213".  I'm sure the 9.206"
height I find in most literature is the average of 9.201" and 9.211".  My
machinist claims that most blocks are on the high side of the specified
deck height.  Not being a machinist, I can't tell one way or another.  The
reason I'm asking is that I'd like to order pistons with the correct pin
(compression) height and there's a readily available piston in a 0.020"
overbore from Probe that fits, but it wouldn't give much room for surfacing
the block deck if the deck height is 9.201".  I'm not sure I have the tools
to accurately measure deck height.  The machinist said he usually checks
for warping and height with the pistons at four corners, but isn't that a
little too late?

Corey