[DeTomaso] Carb Inlet

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Apr 13 13:47:27 EDT 2014

In a message dated 4/13/14 10 07 7, steve at snclocks.com writes:

> I am still waiting time on the dyno, so engine is pretty much on hold for
> 5332.  But, am thinking ahead to when I will need to put on an air
> cleaner.
> I have seen several engines with an inlet to the carb that splits in two
> and
> mounts the air cleaners to either side of the carb.  Any comments on the
> performance of such a set-up, or recommendations for a better setup?
>

>>>Originally made by B&M, that air cleaner setup is now marketed both by
Holley and Weiand, called "Hi-Tek"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Holley-Hi-Tek-Aluminum-K-N-Style-Air-Cleaner-18-
x-8-x-3-Tall-5-1-8-Neck-/380882361329

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weiand-64280-Hi-Tek-Air-Cleaner-/360886171328

Some have reported fairly pronounced power losses on the dyno with this
setup due to its low height, and claim that a spacer between the underside of
the air cleaner body and the carb helps matters.   Others have tested versus
an open carb and found no difference at all?

So, clearly YMMV....