[DeTomaso] ZF gear oil

Corey Price coreyjprice at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 00:55:13 EDT 2014

Mike,

Okay, I just opened the ZF manual for the Dash-2 that I have and it says "Mild EP gearbox oils of viscosity class SAE 80 should be used.  Mild gear oil types are those EP oil grades which in the presence of condensation do not cause corrosion on steel and non-ferrous metal parts and hardening of gaskets and seals.  The oils must meet our Lubrication Requirements for ZF-Transmission Nr. 13-118.  Under these conditions, EP gear oils SAE 80 corresponding to specification MIL-L-2105 (A) can be used.  In case of doubt, check with the oil supplier or ask our after sales service for the ZF-Lubrication List for ZF Synchro Gearboxes".

I didn't see any reference to GL-5 in that but I'm not an expert.

Just food for thought, here's a possibly related discussion that I got after searching the 'net:
http://www.ratwell.com/technical/GearOil.html
Interesting but part of the webpage contradicts Lloyd's FAQ reasoning about hyphoid and spiral bevel gears.

Maybe a call to Lloyd B. or Dennis Q. would help here.  A friend of mine likes the Penzoil synthetic GL-4.  I have Brad Penn GL-4 in my box currently.  I'm definitely interested if Lloyd or Dennis say otherwise.

Corey

   [1]http://www.ratwell.com/technical/GearOil.html