[DeTomaso] do the OEM-type water pumps and thermostats even exist any more?

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Thu Nov 14 21:54:57 EST 2013

On 11/14/2013 10:44 AM, Pantdino wrote:
> When I called Tommy this morning to clarify what kind of pump and
> t-stat he would be using he said he doesn't really understand the
> differences in the thermostats and pumps but has been doing what he
> has been doing without problems

Based on that statement alone, I would never take anything mechanical to
Tommy Hodges.  Period.

- The ford 351 Cleveland has been around for more than 40 years.
- The cooling system fundamentals have been explained in many books.
- The uninitiated can even find information on how it works by doing
simply searches on the Internet
- There's a damn big difference between a proper thermostat and a
non-proper thermostat for a 351C.
- There are only -two- reasons you would -not- use a proper thermostat:
     - You are using a non-bypass water pump; having the bypass passage
blocked, or
     - You have blocked the brass restrictor plate with a plug

Does he understand the difference between internal and external balancing?
Does he understand the difference between quench and open chamber heads?
Does he understand the difference between one-piece and two-piece valves?
Does he even understand the difference between a 351W and 351C?

Maybe he was just flipping you crap, but if that's his real attitude
toward quality work.....
No thanks.

Asa Jay