[DeTomaso] Weiand Water Pump

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat May 11 13:39:56 EDT 2013

In a message dated 5/11/13 10 22 22, demongusta at me.com writes:

> To All:
> Recently we discussed water pumps, mechanical and electric. Well, I have a
> Weiland (#8209 - Action-Plus) and I didn't hear anyone mention this pump.
> Is there a reason? Any opinions? All the competition versions are for small
> block Chevys.
>

>>>One problem with it (from what I recall) is that unlike all other 351C
water pumps, Weiand failed to incorporate the internal water passage for the
engine warmup circuit.   All Ford engines utilize a bypass system, either
external (on all other contemporary Ford V8s) or internal (only on the
Cleveland series).   In the Cleveland, when the thermostat is closed, water flows
through the bypass, and when it's opened, the bypass is partially (but not
fully) blocked off and most water flows through the radiator.   But
significantly, water is flowing all the time.

With the Weiand pump, water remains completely stagnant, and the water pump
just churns away and cavitates, until the thermostat opens.   This can lead
to uneven heating of the engine, as hot spots can develop, etc.

For this reason I would choose any of the other 351C pumps available,
favoring either the Edelbrock or the Flowkooler.