[DeTomaso] Weiand Water Pump

David in Durango adin at frontier.net
Sat May 11 18:26:10 EDT 2013

With the Weiand pump, water remains completely stagnant, and the water pump
just churns away and cavitates, until the thermostat opens.   This can lead
to uneven heating of the engine, as hot spots can develop, etc.<<<<<<

Now, is this really true?  or some old wive's tale?

My experience: ran the 8209 (?) Weiand pump for 10 years or so.  NEVER a cooling problem with the car.  NEVER.
When I freshened the motor in 2012 I decided the "weiand water pump modification" ( found it on the PI bb) was something I wanted to do since I felt my car had always been slow to warm up.  My machinist (welder/fabricator/best friend) said we could do it - he read the diy how to and felt like it was worthwhile. (insert long story after many drinks here).

My car now runs as before, except the warmup is a two block affair.  Car still runs cool, as in drive to the fun rally and home with no fans!

David, the only hot-spot is in my pants, in Durango