[DeTomaso] 351w or 351c

richard bosch theemonkey at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 11 18:21:53 EST 2013

The 351 w and 351 c have the same firing order,motor mounts,and clutch,flywheel(provided the windsor is still balanced at 28 oz),and bellhousing.The headers will be different and there are different height exhaust ports depending on what head you pick.Pantera vendors have windsor headers.
You will need to change the thermostat housing pipe as the windsor is off the intake versus the cleveland which is block mounted.Again vendors have them.
I switched to a stroked windsor and i will not be going back to a cleveland.In fact i sold it after it sat around for awhile,just taking up room.Clevelands are great.It is just really hard to find a good block that can be safely stroked at this point.By the way stroking a cleveland really really really wakes up the 4V heads!I cannot stress that enough.If you build a cleveland stroke it!
I recommend driving the car with the 351c and see how you like it.Pluses and minuses to any engine build.if you do not like it the 351c,build the engine that you and your local engine builder like.Be it a windsor or a cleveland.Use a local engine builder you like or someone with a good reputation like Dan Jones,not some mass engine builder on ebay.It is really easy to swap the engines in the Pantera.I do it all the time : ).
630 hp in a 427 windsor is not very radical with good heads and a roller cam.Mine is about 550 hp with tiny heads and a medium roller cam.
Idle will depend on cam and head selection.Here is a youtube vid of my car at idle as i am bleeding the air out of the cooling system after my last build.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YWcTZWFzk0
Just my 2 cents,Richard
Ps,i have lowered the car since the video was shot.