[DeTomaso] Heat Insulation - Engine Bay

John Taphorn jtaphorn at kingwoodcable.com
Sat Aug 3 18:32:48 EDT 2013

I am about to reinstall an engine with 180s into the engine bay and
would appreciate product recommendations for protecting the painted bay
from heat generated by the exhaust pipes.

I intend to use a stainless steel sheet attached to the decklid to
provide protection.  Any suggestions as to what to insulate the side
facing the decklid?  I hope to have the engine bay facing side polished.

Additionally, I welded, prior to painting, mounting nuts on the
underside of the decklid for attaching the stainless heat barrier. Is
anyone aware of an insulated bolt/stud arrangement that would reduce the
heat exchange?

Also, the header pipes do pass close to a section of painted engine
bay.  The previous solution was to rivet polished stainless steel sheet
over that painted section.  Is there another approach to consider?
Perhaps a pipe wrap for those 5", or a space age thin layer of something
that is impervious to heat transfer.

I've seen new products introduced from time to time; anyone know the
latest and greatest?

Thanks
JT