[DeTomaso] Need Help:)

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Mon Apr 8 21:53:43 EDT 2013

Mike,

Good call.  You referenced that TSB earlier, and I spaced on it concerning the power source.  What we don't
know is if Freddy's car came with the D46Y relay from the factory, or has the D16Y relay, or has the circuit breaker
added per the TSB.

The fact remains that there needs to be power on the red / black wire (or the "new" feeder per the TSB) when the
key is on.  If there is no power on that wire, then the source is either from fuse #10, or from the circuit breaker
shown in TSB 14.  BTW, the new feeder in TSB 14 connects to the same relay terminal where the red / black
wire was removed.

One thing that is odd about figure 19 of the TSB (actually there are several) is that the new feeder wire appears
to have another wire spliced into it, and that wire connects to the lower right relay terminal.  Both lower (left and
right) terminals are the relay's coil terminal, which means that the red wire (lower left) has to go to ground in
order for the relay's coil to become energized.  This means that the red wire must ground via the headlight switch.  Normally, this red wire receives power when the headlights are turned on via the headlight switch.

I've also noted that the brown and the yellow wires have changed positions (figures 18 and 19), as have the
gray and the green wires. Perhaps these four wires were swapped between the two headlight door limit switches ??

I have a D46Y relay in front of me as I type this.  Looking at the relay contacts and corresponding pins, it appears
to be identical (electrically) as the D16Y, except for the bridged terminals.  Perhaps I should go back and read
the first part of this TSB re the new headlight door motor.  Maybe there will be a clue, but I'm not holding my breath !!  : >)

John