[DeTomaso] Need Help:)

John Buckman jb841 at cox.net
Mon Apr 8 22:52:14 EDT 2013

I don't know what the difference is or
why they felt the need to change the motor, but they believe that the new
motor requires very different wiring
>>>There doesn't appear to be any difference (electrically) between the old and the new motors.  I would guess
that the only reason that the +12 volt feeder to the relay contacts was changed was to remove some of the load
from the #10 fuse, and / or for better "reliability". ??

This begs the question--were the 1974 production cars wired this way?
>>>The TSB states that "A new headlamp relay was introduced in production on late 74 models".

the red/black wire is removed and taped off,
and a new wire runs from the junction block under the dash, through a
circuit breaker on the relay panel, and then to the headlight relay.
>>>The circuit breaker in Fig 16 is part of the door motor change in Article No. 116.  (see above)

Article No. 117 (Figs 18 and 19) shows the difference between the early (1971 through early 1974) and the late
(later 1974 models) wiring.  The circuit breaker (and wiring) in Fig 18 is probably shown as an assumption that
the headlight motor had been previously changed.

John