[DeTomaso] NPC mostly. Bulletproofing your laptop

Dave Londry davel at emspace.com
Wed Oct 3 13:42:06 EDT 2012

Damn - just can't resist a problem.

You get small arms bullets, still having some energy, up to 1000 ft.
(and your roll-out to 1000 ft time is pretty short)
You get 50 cal equivalents, still having energy, up to 3000 ft .
(longer exposure, but much less likely)
An SA14 or QW2 (shoulder- fired SAM) operates to 10,000 ft
  and delivers an explosive-frag warhead that showers an aircraft with
small, high-speed shrapnel.

So if you believe all that:
- you're exposed to cheap SAM fire much more than bullets.
- the burst will come from an engine because the IR seeker has gone there.
- you'll get shrapnel from the side
- you'll probably loose the aircraft and the laptop
- wear the vest and sit on the other vest so you're in the best possible
condition to leave the scene.
dave
(I do have some mil systems-analysis background, but about 40 years
out-of-date)
Current analysts must have have the best recipe for keeping your hide
intact,
and as Will says approximately, screw the laptop.