[DeTomaso] Most expensive ticket in a Pantera and otherwise?

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Tue May 1 12:16:08 EDT 2012

We got lucky on the drive home from Phoenix yesterday.   Lori had never
driven my Pantera before, and she took the wheel in Bishop, CA for the drive
north on Hwy 395, a beautiful four-lane divided highway (non-freeway) with a
65 mph limit (55 in places).   She asked how fast she could go, and I told
her "go as fast as you want?"

Next thing you know, the GPS is showing triple digits.   We're just
cruising along in the Pantera's happy zone.   Julian Kift had been right behind us,
but he was wiser and held back as we motored off into the distance.

My phone rang a few minutes later.   Julian breathlessly told me that a CHP
car had just BLASTED past him going the speed of heat, obviously in hot
pursuit of somebody.   Hmm, I wonder who that somebody might be?

We slowed right down to 62 mph and parked in the slow lane.   Soon the CHP
SUV appeared in our 6 o'clock and shadowed us for a few miles.   But then
surprisingly, he pulled off and turned around.   I guess he had seen us but
didn't get us on radar or something?

Whew!

Eventually Julian caught up and we had a bit of a chuckle, then pressed on,
speeds once again elevated (but not in triple digits anymore).   We even
blew past a late-model Corvette on a bit of the road that was two-lane (he
actually pulled over onto the hard shoulder as Lori was pressing him a bit!)

Approaching a blind bend, a pickup truck going the other way flashed his
lights frantically, so she slowed way down again, and sure enough, lurking
around the corner was a CHP car pointed right at us, radar presumably going
full blast.   Just like the scene in The Gumball Rally, we sailed past him
going exactly the speed limit, and he didn't budge.

Whew times two!

Mike (really should invest in a radar detector--or better yet, get LORI to
invest in a radar detector!   BTW she has never, ever received a speeding
ticket!   Her natural assets may have played a bit of a role in that once or
twice though!)