[DeTomaso] Which intake to use...

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Mon Jun 25 18:15:37 EDT 2012

I have two intakes I've purchased over the years for 351C engines.
I'm going to be swapping one onto the Pantera shortly and would like
to get opinions.

FPP 4145 (mfg by Blue Thunder) 351 C-4V (p/n 4145)
- high rise dual plane with Holley carb bolt pattern

Weiand X-Celerator 351 V-4V (7517)
- low rise single plane with Holley carb bolt pattern

These two were best performers in a 1993 Super Ford intake shootout.
My guess is for my purposes the 4145 will be the cat's meow.  Which
means I'll have the Weiand leftover and will probably sell it if
anyone is interested.

First, I'd like some anecdotal impressions.  Which intake would be the
better to run on a mildly built 351C meant for street and open road
racing?  The engine specs are as follows:

0.030 overbore
Flat top pistons Sterling H555P
Moly Rings
Crane 529621 Hydraulic roller cam, see an archived cam spec card here:
http://www.oocities.org/infieldg/camcard.html
4V Quench heads
Manley Stainless Valves with hardened seats installed
Triple Valve springs
Pushrod guideplate conversion kit
Adjustable roller rockers
MPG port plates, intake and exhaust (optional at this point but worked
really great in the Mach I with the stock 4V cast Iron intake)

Did I miss any important points?
Which intake would be the better?

Asa Jay

--
Asa Jay Laughton - sent from somewhere other than home