[DeTomaso] Oh S%$# Moment... Help Please

michael@michaelshortt.com michaelsavga at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 11:55:42 EDT 2012

So after talking to many of you ( I much appreciate the many responses ),
I'm going to go with a temporary solution
before fabricating a whole new system ( which I'll share here when finished
) to serve as a hood latch.

Here's what happened,

The hood pin broke off aft of the little box that supports it under the
hood.
The balance of the pin was still inside the little box plus another 1"
extends out of the other end ( towards the front of the car ).

The pin measures 17/64ths of an inch, the bar stock at Lowes was either too
small or too big to serve as a replacement.

However, a Grade 8, 1/4 x 4" bolt is perfect because the shank portion is
thick and is over 3' long.

So I cut off the bolt head, and ground a slight rounded corner edge on it.

Next, the plan was to drill out the spot welds that held in the old pin and
knock the broken pin out,

That didn't work.

so the current plan is to perform a "pin-ectomy" by using a die grinder to
cut out the bottom strip of the steel box

which has the pin attached to it.

I'll be left with a little box with a right side, a cut out strip in the
middle about 3/8" wide and the left side of the box

Now, I'm going to cut a piece of steel plate 3/32" the same size of the
complete steel box, weld the pin to it

and fit that on top of the old sliced steel box, using the welded on pin to
fill the slot formerly filled by the old pin,

then use four screws to attach the steel plate w/welded pin to the old
steel box.  ( Thanks Bill Gaino ).

Once the Summer Summit is over, I'm trashing this and fitting a proper
spring loaded latch with a safety catch.

When that has beeen figured out, I'll share the results.

Michael Shortt