[DeTomaso] Engine Autopsy

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jan 23 15:36:25 EST 2012

In a message dated 1/23/12 11 11 56, seanmundy at hotmail.com writes:

> Here is the answer
> http://poca.com/index.php/gallery/?g2_itemId=34771
> It appears that my aircleaner wing nut came loose and the center post that
> screws into
> the carb also came loose and ejected itself down the carb, manifold and
> finally into the cylinder.
> Any advice on what I should do now?
> Total rebuild or clean it up and put back together?

I had exactly the same thing happen to me in my GT-350 years ago--in fact
Mad Dog was riding with me at the time.   It's such a stupid thing to have
happen--so frustrating!

You might think your valves are okay, but in my case, even though they
looked like yours, in fact one of them was bent slightly.   I looked upon it as
an opportunity, and had a basic valve job done and new valves fitted.

Since your heads are in your hands and your valves are the junk stock Ford
valves anyway, now is the time to do the same, and equip them with quality
valves (or go whole hog and replace the heads, either with quench heads or
aluminum heads, depending on how spendy you're feeling).

Thankfully the piston head is rather soft.   You will have to inspect the
connecting rod carefully to make sure it's not bent.   Mine, thankfully, was
not.   I was able to buy a single replacement piston, matching the others,
then sent all the pistons and rods to Gary Roys, who balanced them for me,
then came back out to my house and spend a few days screwing my motor back
together with me.

By some miracle, my block was untouched and undamaged by the debris, but
you should check yours carefully to make sure the carb stud didn't leave a big
gouge in the cylinder wall. :<(