[DeTomaso] Engine Autopsy

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Mon Jan 23 15:36:30 EST 2012

In a message dated 1/23/12 11 27 11, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> First, lesson to everybody, Loc-Tite red on the air cleaner stud, I also
> use a nut
> on mine to lock it down against the carb body.

My Mustang motor had an ignition miss, one plug was only firing part of the
time.   This set up a vibration that was difficult to track down.

I used a nut to secure the stud to the intake.   The vibration sheared the
stud flush with the top of the nut, leaving it dangling by the wingnut.   So
it just hung there and rattled as the wingnut then unthreaded and dropped
the stud into the engine. :<(

Good, quality, hardened studs (NOT cheap grade-zilch allthread) are
required for this application!   Lesson learned the hard way....