[DeTomaso] Tire Sizes

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Sun Feb 19 16:47:44 EST 2012

In a message dated 2/18/12 5:06:14 PM, MikeLDrew at aol.com writes:

> Buying expensive tires for your existing wheels (which make the car look
> proper) is a heck of a lot cheaper than buying new wheels and expensive
> tires for those wheels (which make the car look weird).

I seldom agree with Mike on much, but in this case I think he's correct.
Chrome Constoga-wagon wheels with rubber bands mounted just do not fit a
rakish, low-slung Italian sportscar. Another reason to avoid super-low-profile
"modern" tires on giant wheels is the utter inability of 20,-25 or 30-profile
tires to absorb much curb or pothole damage. The web is full of
ricer-reports on their 6th or 7th consecutive 18-20" wheel. I also refer to Car & Driver
magazine's recent experiences with a 2011 BMW running stock low profile
tires. In a year of street driving this 4 door sedan, they ruined 7 tires and
cracked or bent 6 aluminum wheels. Unless you are fortunate enough to live
where there's NO potholes or you always drive slowly enough to avoid such road
hazards, your only other option is to not drive your car much. And that's a
real shame. Personally, I'll take whatever 15" tires I find- 'race' or not.
My opinion- J Deryke