[DeTomaso] Need Engine Cover Mounting Details

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sun Feb 12 10:05:36 EST 2012

In a message dated 2/11/12 14 00 38, wparmele at hotmail.com writes:

> I have a 1972 Pantera that I am in the processing of restoring. I had one
> of our vendors (vendor to remain nameless) install a 1973 firewall years
> back so that I could go with the 1973 engine screens, covers, outside filler,
> etc.
>
>>>Uh...there's no difference worth mentioning in the firewall?   At least
I don't think so?

Well, the cars that use the early screens have a V-shaped sheetmetal groove
to accept the front lip on the screen, but that's about it.

> >I did this because I like the look of the 73! Unfortunately, the tabs on
> the firewall to hold the engiine covers were not drilled and no fasteners
> were provided. Can anyone on the list provide part numbers, details,
> dimensions, whatever so that I can obtain the correct parts, hole size, etc. to
> mount the covers correctly. Any information, sketches, photos, etc. would be
> greatly appreciated as I am finally ready to dive in and get my car on the
> road again.
>
>>>Here's the sketch from the De Tomaso parts book:

http://www.panterasbywilkinson.com/webpages/catalog/ill33a.html

Looks like the late-model side covers fasten from above, rather than from
the rear, with a pair of screws and anchors on the back (facing the ground,
as opposed to facing forward like the early cars do).   The book also shows a
hole in the left-front corner of the left cover, and a tab on the
left-front corner of the right cover, but no mention of the fastening scheme.

The Ford parts book shows the same parts from the front, and indicates that
it uses the same ground-facing screw and anchor in the forward corners of
the shield.   So apparently there is a tab there on the body to accept them?