[DeTomaso] Brake Upgrade - Opinions?

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 10 20:13:23 EST 2011

I'm probably repeating what others have said, but you son't need big brakes for one stop, it's for multiple stops where you need more mass to handle the heat generated.

Some of us went with Porsche 996 turbo calipers and Coleman rotors because the 996 turbo is a nearly 200 MPH street car, a little heavier than a Pantera, and has an almost identical weight distribution.  The calipers are Brembo mono-block (single piece) and I think look really good.  They are a street caliper, not a race caliper, so you shouldn't have to keep an eye on them.  Also, there is a huge selection of pads for them.  Basically, we are leveraging all the engineering Porsche put into their brakes for a very similar car (brake wise).  The front calipers are a simple bolt on, the rears can be used with the stock carriers, or with an aluminum carrier made for modern bolt on wheel bearings.

The only problem I've ever heard of with Wilwood calipers is getting seals for older models. they seem to work great.

But, you do need to go to at least 17 inch wheels.

Ken