[DeTomaso] Garage Door Springs

Asa Jay Laughton asajay at asajay.com
Sun Nov 6 01:13:21 EDT 2011

I think that's because there are different styles of doors and different
door lift mechanics.  I remember single car doors that had a cantilever
mechanism on both sides, with the springs at the sides.  The springs
moved a long way in length and through free space as the solid door
rotated.  These are the worst and those that really need a restraint of
some kind.  Those like on my door and many others, have a pipe that goes
all the way from one end of the door to the other, above the door going
-through- the springs.  These are safer, but depending on how they
break, could still fling a good chunk of spring across a room;  a small
chunk not enclosing the circumference of the rod that goes from end to end.

Asa Jay

Asa Jay Laughton, MSgt, USAFR, Retired
&  Shelley Marie
Spokane, WA