[DeTomaso] engine bay lower X-member

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Sat Mar 26 00:46:31 EDT 2011

In a message dated 3/21/11 11 34 45, steveblum2 at msn.com writes:

> This is the first time I have heard of this upgrade to the Pantera, can
> someone fill me in on it? Who sells it? Is it for race cars only? Is it to
> replace rotten chassis?

It's an upgrade that has been around for a long time and has proven its
effectiveness.   Whether you really 'need' it is a matter of personal
opinion--just like whether or not you 'need' 400 (or 500 or 600) horsepower.

I'd generally suggest that a Pantera that is driven gently definitely
doesn't need it, while one that is routinely beaten within an inch of its life on
a racetrack definitely does.   There's a lot of gray area in between.

The whole concept was invented by Hall Pantera, and consists of a
four-piece kit.   Hall sells it in a very (extremely) rough fashion; you get to
finish welding it together, and then have it powdercoated on your own.

Precision Proformance sells essentially the same kit as a true bolt-in,
already fabricated in a jig and powdercoated.   The one difference is that the
Hall kit uses a square steel bar while the PP kit uses round tubing
exclusively.   I happen to think the square bar design is superior, but I didn't
want to mess with having to have the pieces finished myself, so I bought the PP
kit.   So far I've only installed the lower rear portion, but hope to have
the time to finish the installation before Reno.   I also bought a square
steel bar; my plan is to eventually cut the round tube from the PP kit and
replace it with the square bar, essentially copying the Hall design.

Here are links to the kits on their respective websites:

http://hallpantera.com/cgi-bin/p/awtp-product.cgi?d=hallpantera-inc&
item=22697

Note that it says "complete" but it's far from complete, as you also have
to buy the square steel bar, and a pair of connecting tubes: