[DeTomaso] engine bay lower X-member

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Mon Mar 21 15:58:20 EDT 2011

In a message dated 3/21/11 11:34:22 AM, steveblum2 at msn.com writes:

> This is the first time I have heard of this upgrade to the Pantera, can
> someone fill me in on it? Who sells it? Is it for race cars only? Is it to
> replace rotten chassis?

The stock crossmember is welded across the bottom, below the engine. If you
need to remove the oil pan for any reason, the engine must be removed
first. All Panteras after Ford bailed in 1974 got this mod from DeTomaso, so both
factory and aftermarket parts have been around since the late '70s. It is
strictly for service convenience so it benefits all owners, not just racers.
It has nothing to do with repairing frame damage- which seldom happens in
the area in question. All the Pantera vendors have a kit to do this, but the
big expense is the labor involved in cutting the welds holding the old parts
to the chassis. If you're handy, it can be done at home.
A second, similar mod is dropping the battery into a well below the front
trunk floor; that also was a factory mod on post-Ford Panteras by DeTomaso,
and gives the car a bit better balance as well as opening up more front trunk
space and cleaning up its appearance. Again, the vendors routinely do this
mod on request, or it can be done at home. Neither mod requires welding but
metal-cutting is definitely involved in both. Cheers- J DeRyke