[DeTomaso] master cylinder advice

David Nunn dnunn at telus.net
Wed Mar 23 00:48:34 EDT 2011

Justin, when I was trying to decide which brake master cylinder to use, I
called Wilwood to see what they recommended. They said they only had one
unit that was suitable for a Pantera, or any other mid-engine car, and the
part number was 260-8794. It has a 1" bore and a 1:1 volume ratio between
the primary and secondary chambers. They said that a mid-engine car can use
much more rear brake than a front engine car; therefore, you need a master
cylinder that sends equal volume to the front and rear brake circuits. You
would then use a proportioning valve in the rear line for fine tuning your
brake balance. Wilwood has many other tandem master cylinders but I was told
they aren't suitable for our cars because they were designed for a front
engine application, so they have a 2:1 volume ratio between the primary and
secondary chambers.