[DeTomaso] Radiator Update

Julian Kift julian_kift at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 2 16:36:16 EST 2011

There are a several factors to consider in choosing optimal anti-freeze blend;

1. Climate and required freeze protection - maximum protection -60F at 70/30 anti-freeze to water (pure anti-freeze freezes at +10F)
2. Heat transfer - anti-freeze reduces the specific heat capacity of water and a 50/50 blend reduces it by about 20% so you need to circulate the mixture 20% faster than pure water to get the same heat transfer
3. Corrosion protection - generally 40/60 to 60/40 is accepted as the range for adequate corrosion protection where aluminum components are in use and contact.

The atmospheric boiling point of pure ethylene glycol is 387F, but a 60% anti-freeze blend is 232F (only 20 degrees above water), every psi (cap pressure) on your cooling system will raise the boiling point by about 3 degrees (water or anti-freeze). Most of us use a 16 psi cap so even with pure water the boiling point is ~260F.

Julian