[DeTomaso] Expected performance?

Cullen McCann cmccann1972 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 12:41:36 EDT 2011

Good Morning Michael,

As always, thanks for your input. Funny how things seem to get lost in
translation so quickly. I see this on this list quite often. Hopefully I
have the chemistry right when I say that I am trying to read your email with
a bit of playful sarcasm. If I have otherwise overstepped my bounds, feel
free to let me know. Your opening remark caught me by surprise.

As far as "what I am thinking"  in the context of the discussion, I was not
advocating that Panteras should be driven like drag cars. I was responding
to Corey and Will's inquiry as to why a 540 horse engine might perform
better in a specific timed contest in a Mustang, vs a Pantera..so I
hypothesized that this could be due to differences in driving style and
gearing between the two vastly different types of cars.

I don't know that bashing drag racing by oversimplifying it is necessary,
but we your opinion is not without merit. I have a respect for all types of
racing.both by way of personal athletics, by animal, on 4 wheels, 2 wheels,
air, water and land.but in all fairness I do agree that road racing is by
far more comprehensive and taxing of both driver and machine endurance and
capability over drag racing. It's just here in Oklahoma, in my limited years
of growing up as a motorsports fan, we drag raced.and it got me where I am
today, and had a lot of fun doing it. I was more engrossed in a high
performance machine at high speeds than most people by the time they are 35
years old, I assure you. There are speed events such as Formula One that
make driving a Pantera around the track look like driving miss Daisy.I
believe it's all relative. We all have to start somewhere. Some of us never
start at all.

I agree wholeheartedly with your enthusiasm for the Pantera, I am
purposefully engaging a group out of a sincere desire to contribute to one
of the greatest followings I have ever seen, surrounding a machine that is a
timeless exotic of exquisite beauty and charisma. I feel fortunate to be a
part of it even at the stage I'm at.

Thanks!

Cullen