[DeTomaso] Stock Flywheel Question- Lesson on Ford numbers!!!

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri Sep 24 23:56:07 EDT 2010

In a message dated 9/23/10 15 55 39, seanmundy at hotmail.com writes:

> Silver lining to all this is that I can now remove and install the clutch
> by myself in about 2 hours!!   I found a slick way that I support the
> front of the bellhousing with a nylon tie down strap and the back of the ZF
> with a floor jack.  I can get the whole deal in the sweet spot pretty easily
> and don't have to wrestle it around to much to get the input shaft lined
> up.  Saves my back from more damage.  I also found the crossmember brace bar
> makes a good tool to leverage the ZF in the final 1/2 inch.   The worst part
> of the job is the half shaft bolts.   You can't get a socket or a
> ratcheting wrench on them.  ARRGH!!

FWIW I created some indexing tools to make gearbox installation much
easier.   I got long bolts, sized to fit the bellhousing-to-block holes (7/16-18,
right?), cut the heads off and rounded the ends with my bench grinder.
When it comes time to install the gearbox, I first install these long pins in
all the block holes, then slide the bellhousing over them.   That centers the
front of the gearbox completely while taking up most of the weight; it then
requires only subtle movement at the rear for the input shaft to snick
right into place.   Then it's a snap to remove the pins one by one and replace
with bolts.

Mike (also getting far too good at gearbox R&R thanks to a leaking
hydraulic throwout bearing...grrrr!!!)