[DeTomaso] Air compressor info

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Sep 1 02:25:45 EDT 2010

In a message dated 8/31/10 8:06:57 PM, michaelsavga at gmail.com writes:

> Make sure you add all the extras like dryers, pressure valves, and run a
> line around the garage space with quick connects every few feet. way better
> than hoses on the floor.

I agree   I bought an 80 gal Campbell-Hausefield 14 cfm system some 20 yrs
ago, and if I had to do over, I'd get one that flowed 20 cfm.   I'll add
that 1/2" ID copper tubing, sweat-soldered together is more expensive than
glued plastic pipe. But every one of my friends that used plastic lines in their
shops wound up pulling drywall down off the walls to fix leaks a year or so
later. The stuff just doesn't like holding 125 psi pressure for months at a
time. Second- almost all compressors these days use a steel crankpin that
runs in a one-piece aluminum rod without an insert and is only
splash-lubricated. This means if the oil level drops and there's no low-oil control to
shut it down, the rod will sieze, then break in two. An alternative is to turn
the circuit breaker off whenever you leave the shop for a long time, so if
bad things happen, it doesn't run itself to death when you're not around.
Have fun- J DeRyke