[DeTomaso] Who makes the best clutch for the Pantera?

Ed Pike erpike at ymail.com
Tue Oct 12 21:51:41 EDT 2010

Richard,

Like Michael said you will probably get a lot of different opinions. I have no
experience with a centerforce or a stock clutch. When I got my 74 it had a
Mcleod 3 finger clutch in it whick promptly self destructed about 2 weeks after
I got the car. No fault of the clutch - it was old. I put another Mcleod 3
finger clutch in it and got about 17,000 miles out of it. It came from PI
motorsports and it worked great. It had one annoying (for me) tendency to
shudder a bit during slow to moderate take offs. It occurred between 1000 and
2000 RPM. It turned out to be a characteristic of the clutch and with a little
practice I learned to work around it. I just replaced it with a Mcleod diaphram
clutch and have about 250 miles on it and it works well with no shudder. My car
is set up to drive daily (weather permitting) and has about 425 hp and stock
flywheel. The clutch required a long throw slave.

I think alot depends on how you drive it daily or every once in a while, how
much Hp you want to run and how hard you drive it. This is just my opinion but
if you drive it hard and or not very often the three finger Mcleod would
probably work. Personally I like the Mcleod diaphram clutch. It fits how I use
the car.

I am sure that there are some guys that have experience with the Centerforce and
will provide some insight as well.

If you want to look into the diaphram Mcleod I would recommend you talk with
Dennis Quella at Pantera Performance. He was very helpful in getting me what I
needed for my set up. He could also give you some input on the difference
between Mcleod's.

Any way just my opinion.

Good Luck,

Ed....