[DeTomaso] ZF Gear Lube Question

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri May 28 21:45:05 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/28/10 12:21:49 PM, joernco at online.no writes:

> What is the amount of GL4 oil in a ZF?
> -Only drained =      Pure guess- maybe 2-1/2 quarts since even inverting
> the gearbox doesn't drain                          all the lube
> -Rebuilt =                3.5 liters/3.67 quarts if bone-dry

As to the type, remember the ZF transaxle as a complex and expensive car
part PREDATES the 'GL' lubrication rating system. Not sure what GL rating
parameters are and I suspect no one else on this list has found out, either. All
the ZF factory manual says is to only use 'mild' EP (extreme pressure) gear
oil, 80W conforming to spec- Mil-L-2105 (A). In the '60s, 'mild' meant
low-sulfur gear oil. They also say its much more important to keep the level up
to within 10mm of the fill plug lip rather than use too little of any
particular type lube.

I use a posi-lube additive in our '72's lube since it was made for
clutch-type limited slips like the ZF. I once asked LLoyd Butfoy this question in
public at a Tech Session in 'Vegas. He said, 'Posi-lube won't hurt, and in
some assemblies it may help'. A tight clutch-type posi (any brand) may chatter
at low speeds in sharp turns but almost all our vintage 35-40 year old posi
clutches are badly worn. If in pouring rain or on other slippery roads you
turn sharply and feel a jerking from back there, that's the posi clutches in
the differential catching and releasing as they do their job; a posi
additive will help such a ZF to work more smoothly. FWIW- J DeRyke