[DeTomaso] ZF Gear Lube Question

MikeLDrew at aol.com MikeLDrew at aol.com
Fri May 28 22:30:13 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/28/10 18 45 54, JDeRyke at aol.com writes:

> As to the type, remember the ZF transaxle as a complex and expensive car
> part PREDATES the 'GL' lubrication rating system.
>
>>>Not in our cars, it doesn't--check the manual.

> >Not sure what GL rating
> parameters are and I suspect no one else on this list has found out,
> either. All
> the ZF factory manual says is to only use 'mild' EP (extreme pressure)
> gear
> oil, 80W conforming to spec- Mil-L-2105 (A).

some valuable information hidden inside it, if one takes the time to look
for it.   Specifically germane to this discussion, they give very specific
recommendations as to quantity and type of gearbox oil to be used.

The blue-covered manual lists the capacity as 7 1/2 U.S. pints, and gives
the oil type as "SAE 90 - E.P."   The red-covered manual goes into a bit more
detail; it calls for   SAE 80 AP GL-5 for the USA, and Agip F.1 Rotra MP
SAE 90 for Europe.   (I can't help but wonder if the "SAE 80" thing is a typo,
and they really mean SAE 90--probably SAE 80-90 would be the best bet).

It's easy to find suitable gearbox oils in the USA.   For example, here's
what Valvoline has on offer:

HP Gear Oil GL-5
     •     Applicable where an API GL-5 gear oil is specified
     •     Available in SAE 90, 80W-90 and 85W-140 and viscosity grades
     •     GL-5 90: MB 235.0, MAN 342-N and ZF 05A/07A/16B/17B approved

Every other gear oil maker (Castrol/Pennzoil/Mobil 1/Amsoil/Brad
Penn/etc./etc./and so forth) offer similar oils with similar characteristics; some are
mineral-based while others are either a mineral/synthetic blend, or pure
synthetic.

Once the basic parameters have been established (you want GL-5, and either
straight 90-weight, or somethingW-90-weight), it's probably far more
important to maintain the oil by changing it periodically (every 2-3 years) rather
than concentrating so much on the specific brand.