[DeTomaso] Galled stainless fasteners

Charles Engles cengles at cox.net
Tue May 25 23:30:00 EDT 2010

Dear Dave,

            This sounds remarkably like Tim Tytle's experience.  He had
fancy aluminum pulleys secured with pretty stainless bolts.  Unfortunately,
the bolts holding the crank pulley on the harmonic balancer were improperly
installed, resulting in the steel bolts coming a bit loose and turning the
holes in the aluminum pulley into slots.  When the problem was finally
found, only one or two of the galled stainless bolts could be removed.
Ultimately, the balancer had to be removed and even with the pulley and
balancer and galled bolts on the work bench one bolt couldn't be removed.
New pulley. New balancer. Normal grade 8 bolts. No problems now.

            It appears that you may have a real headache on your hands.

                      Warmest regards,  Chuck Engles