[DeTomaso] Vent to tank gas leak

mikeldrew at aol.com mikeldrew at aol.com
Wed May 19 19:45:17 EDT 2010

I wrote:

I had a non-sealing gas cap on my non-vented Cobra replica, and the
first weekend I bought it, I parked it in the sun for a few hours.
When I came back to it, the sun had heated the air inside the tank,
which expanded and forced the fuel up and out the filler neck, which
then went into the gas tank, soaking all my clothes and destroyng a
camera.

>>>I failed to finish the story--I installed a vent on the tank, with a
hose leading back to the filler neck.  Since the cap is vented, this
allows the air to escape.  The way the tank sits in the car, the
opening where the filler neck enters the tank is NOT at the high spot
in the tank, meaning that there was a big air bubble above it before I
modified it.  I could only get 13 gallons into a 19-gallon tank.  Now
that it's properly vented, fuel displaces the air through the vent,
back into the filler neck.

This wouldn't work on a Pantera, because the fuel cap isn't vented (at
least, the aftermarket caps on the early-style gooseneck extensions
aren't vented).