[DeTomaso] 351C steel billet flywheel

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Fri May 14 15:55:25 EDT 2010

In a message dated 5/14/10 10:46:29 AM, cengles at cox.net writes:

> I wonder if :(1) aviation steel really exists?
> (2) if there is any weight savings with billet aviation grade steel
> flywheels?
> (3) if there is any application where this would actually be better than a
> stock flywheel or an aluminum flywheel?

1)- Sure- they use steel in airplanes all the time(!) Practically, you'd
have to ask them what they really mean. Cold-rolled steel works just fine in
flywheels, being much stronger than gray cast iron or even nodular iron. The
steel inserts in aluminum flywheels are usually 1041- a low carbon steel.
High alloy 4130 (chrome/moly) steel would be a waste.
2)-?
3)-   stock Detroit flywheels are often gray iron which spot-hardens and
cracks. Steel- even low grades- do not and are considerably stronger. Quite a
few drag race organizations do not allow stock iron flywheels in the higher
classes due to the destructive potential if one blows during a run- which
has happened. EJ Poss nearly cut his Pantera in two during one drag race when
the flywheel let go at high rpms. They must be either steel or aluminum. A
heavier flywheel is sometimes advantageous in heavier cars due to the torque
it provideds during low-speed operation. There's a nice dissertation on this
subject on the web. My 2¢- J DeRyke