[DeTomaso] 351C steel billet flywheel

Ken Green kenn_green at yahoo.com
Fri May 14 15:37:47 EDT 2010

Julian,

    I think the term "Billet" just means that it is machined from a chunk of metal versus being cast, and doesn't say anything about the material it's made from.  I have a billet steel flywheel that probably weighs just as much as a cast iron fhywheel, maybe a little more.   It may be the case that a billet steel flywheel can be machined thinner than a cast iron flywheel because it's a stronger material, but if they are made for high HP, they may be thicker for strength.  Also, I think the drag racers like a heavy flywheel to launch harder, but that probably depends on other parameters.

Ken