[DeTomaso] 351C steel billet flywheel

Charles McCall charlesmccall at gmail.com
Fri May 14 16:10:48 EDT 2010

I see that one can buy a "steel billet flywheel" for the 351C. Allegedly, it
is made from "aviation grade steel" and is "billet" (must be good
then.......because billet aviation grade materials are always the
best----right).

I wonder if :(1) aviation steel really exists?
******I'm not an expert but have been in numerous plants, both manufacturing
components and assembly, for Airbus and Eurofighter.

The Eurofighter is primarily carbon fiber, with the exception of the leading
edge of the wing, which is titanium. Most of the metallic portion of both
Airbus and EF is either Titanium or aluminum.

I'm not sure what "aviation steel" is, to be honest. I'm sure that certain
components in a plane that are made from steel, but I'm not sure which and
they are few these days.