[DeTomaso] rear brake options?

JDeRyke at aol.com JDeRyke at aol.com
Wed Mar 24 16:03:34 EDT 2010

In a message dated 3/24/10 12:51:10 PM, rob at dumoulins.net writes:

> I added the manual proportioning valve and two gauges too (see pic), but
> came to realize that I don't need the valve after all and my fronts are
> always getting full pressure. That is when I starting thinking that if I
> improved the backs, I could switch the valve to step down the backs instead of
> the fronts.

Exactly! Remember, if the wheels- either front OR back- can be locked up in
a full-effort panic stop, you don't need bigger brakes. You need more tire
on the locking-end to take advantage of whats already there! Then with
bigger tires, you can continue the iteration process (bigger wheels & tires vs
even bigger brakes) until you run out of money.....
Incidently, I m obviously not the first to think of the gauges first; that
came from dirt-track Sprint-cars and the Factory Manual for my '92 MR2
Turbo; the factory adjusts this little mid-engined GT's brakes by line pressure
specs! Nice job on your gauge panel- J DeRyke.